Thursday, April 11, 2013

Oh! Now I Get It!


 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him and he will make your paths straight – Proverbs 3:5-6

           


Have you ever felt like you just needed to smack your palm onto your forehead and give a loud “duh” sound? Well that’s how I felt this last night as I read Proverbs 3. If my focus verse for today looks familiar that’s because it is. I used it the other day when I wrote about trusting God to take care of my son when he becomes a police officer. Come to find out I could have used it as my focus verse for pretty much all of my posts recently.  As I read through Proverbs 3 (day 3 of my 30 day trip through the book of Proverbs) I reread Proverbs 3:5-6 and I thought “Hey that’s the verse I found the other day about trusting God, I wonder what my handy dandy little Life Application section has to say about it” all I can say is wow, those 2 little verses pack quite a big punch! All of a sudden it hit me, yep that big punch got me, its all about trust! Everything I’ve been posting about, my questions about prayer, my questions about how do I know if the Bible is accurate since it has been through so many translations, my concern about my son, and this big decision I am trying to make. They all come down to trusting God and allowing Him to show me His will. Everything is all about trusting Him, and not just for the big things, God wants us to trust in Him for EVERYTHING. My life application section for this verse states “Make Him a vital part of everything you do; then He will guide you because you will be working to accomplish His purpose.”

It seems so simple, then why is it so hard?! I say to God “Please take this, please show me what to do, tell me what to do, show me how to make this work…” and then I keep worrying about it. I remember when my mom was alive, and I was dealing with a decision or worrying about something, my mom would always say “Give it to God, and quit being an Indian giver” Ok I know that’s not politically correct but that’s what she used to say. My mom simply meant give it to God and stop worrying about it. She would say “You can’t say ‘God I am giving this to you, help me figure out what to do’ and then turn around and go ‘oh wait, I’m not done worrying about it’ you have to give it to Him and then let Him do His thing” 
Trust is the cornerstone of our faith, we have to trust God, we have to follow Him, but in order to follow we have to actually be willing to let Him lead. I’m working on it I am trying more and more every day to give it all up to Him. Some days are easier than others. 

On a final note, I just have to say that I am so proud of myself just a few days ago, when I started this blog and came up with the whole online Bible study I had never read an entire book of the Bible. That has changed for me, I have no read 2 entire books of the New Testament. I have read 2 Peter and tonight I read 2 Timothy. Both times I was lead to a single verse within the book and then decided to look at the introduction and I find out that these were letters written by the actual apostles Peter and Paul. As I read 2 Timothy today I felt like “Wow, these are Paul’s actual words to Timothy, he wrote these exact words while sitting in a Roman prison waiting to be executed” I love that God is giving me that reaction. I have always loved history and been fascinated with things that are actual artifacts and seeing those things always mesmerize me, that is the same feeling I get when I read these letters. I hate to even admit it but I had no idea that so many of these books of the New Testament were letters from the apostles. I highly recommend that you read some of these letters; it amazes me that something written thousands of years ago can still be so relevant today. 

Father God, I trust you with all my heart, help me to lean on you and not my own understanding, God please help me to give it all to you and not try to take it back to worry about it more. Give me peace to know that You are in control and that You are handling the things I can not and that You are guiding me down the path that glorifies you. Father I pray that you speak to my heart and that I listen to you on big decision and little decisions. Father I thank You for taking my burdens and allowing me peace in knowing that You are in control. In Jesus’ holy name I pray.
Amen

1 comment:

  1. Awe...I love how your sharing and being real Cindy. I love that we can share this journey in life the way God intended us too. We are all dealing with issues, but how should we act when they are in front of us. Are our problems and lifes issues in front of us? Or is Jesus in front of us because if He is not then I don't want that outcome for sure!

    I think that lady in the picture is me LOL
    I am learning to Know that he is GOD and not have to always feel him (this is very hard for me. I am an emotional girl(my kids say you never know when momma is gonna cry LOL. I do at movies or if God lays someone on my heart I will sometimes cry. I can't help it. I'm learning to be stronger, but I am still me and GOD made me beautiful(so I will not beat myself up for who I am)! It's is very hard for me to just suck it up and act like nothing is going on with me. I have to talk it out. God is teaching me my boundaries. We are not alone to fight this good fight, but that we have each other to share with and we have the mind of Christ! The Bible says we have the mind of Christ.That is amazing to me. I have to speak that out loud sometimes. I thank you Lord We have the mind of Christ daily. My mind, will, and emotions are yours too. Thank you for speaking to us Lord and that we know you are in all the details. I pray you draw hearts to you as this bible study starts. In you Lord is happiness. In Jesus name, Amen.

    ReplyDelete